Web Hosting

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Anyone Can Build a Web Site!

by Robin Sopko

There are many levels of computer "savvy".

I'd like to think I am quite experienced, but actually, considering the vast knowledge that I have never been trained in, I'd have to�consider myself to be just above the beginner level. I know how to navigate, but I am untrained on the�technical�science of the World Wide Web.�Although I have spent thousands of hours in front of my keyboard and monitor, searching, absorbing and creating, I still have no scholarly knowledge of HTML (hyper text markup language), or things like CGI, Perl, Java script, or other computer programming languages. All I know is that I love to build and design websites, and I love the idea of all of this�vast knowledge, available at my fingertips.

My father is curious about computing, but feels utterly overcome by the thought of owning a� personal computer. Being one who only types with three fingers, he is convinced that he would become frustrated by the availability of virtually "everything" and his inability to obtain it fast enough. He thinks he is too old to learn "shorthand" for the keyboard.

One friend of mine can turn on the computer, get online, get to her email, read and delete it, then becomes instantly lost. If she types anything into her browser window, she has no idea how she got to where she ended up or how to get out of it.

Another example is�my daughter, thirty years younger than I am, experienced enough to know technical computer terminology,�and so fast with the mouse that the computer freezes up within minutes of her signing on. Just when I think I know something that she doesn't, she snickers with delight, and lets out a "Gees Mom, Duh!" that embarrasses me the rest of the day.

More | Home

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home